CAPRESE SALAD: The Easypeasy Recipe!
By Claudio Assandri
- One fresh juicy Mozzarella. (Cow’s milk or, even better, ‘Bufala’)
- One or two large, tasty Tomatoes.
- Fresh and savory Basil leaves.
- Good salted Capers from Italy.
- Extra-virgin Olive Oil.
- Oregano, if possible from Calabria.
- A pinch of salt
- Amore… (and, Dean Martin’s Italian song compilation as background music)
- Get a nice porcelain or other serving plate.
- Unwrap the Mozzarella and cut it into slices as if to make a sandwich and let them rest at room-temperature for about 10 minutes. Arrange the Mozzarella slices onto the plate making a nice pattern
- Cut the tomato in slices about as thick as the Mozzarella ones. If the Tomato and the Mozzarella are about the same size, the slices will stack nicely! Place the tomato slices onto the mozzarella
- Wash the Capers as to remove the salt, then brake them up or cut them in two rough halves and garnish the tomato slices with the fragrant Caper bits.(the Capers are much more fragrant if broken-up)
- Pour Olive Oil lovingly on the tomatoes as needed, or until luscious little pools of Oil form on the plate amidst the Mozzarella milk.
- If fine enough, use some of the Capers’ salt on the tomatoes, if not regular tablesalt will do.
- Sprinkle a pinch of Oregano liberally.
- Place well-washed Basil leaves generously onto the tomatoes. Brake them up if too large.
A dash of creamy Balsamic Vinegar is optional…I love it.